All-White Sneaker Problems

16:02



Photography by Lewys Mann

A little while back, I managed to get my hands on a pair of White Ultra Boost 2.0s, which I wrote about here. Obviously, I was really excited to own a pair, and as an avid fan of adidas, it was great to know that I'd soon be walking around in such a nice colour-way of this popular silhouette. However, as I'm sure others may have experienced, owning and wearing a pair of all-white sneakers can be somewhat of an anxiety trigger, and at the worst of times, quite a stressful ordeal. I'm not saying for a moment that I regret buying the UBs, because I don't. They are unquestionably one of my favourite pairs, and just like any other pair of boosts, they are an incredible creation from adidas's roaring machine of success. I guess having them and wearing them has inspired me to write about the experience that comes with white sneakers in general, and how I try to maintain mine.


Earlier this week, we had some spectacular weather here in the UK, so I took advantage and wore my white Ultra Boosts to work. I could probably count the number of times I've worn this pair on one hand since I bought them in June, and I guess this could really come down to the weather that we have in this country. In fact, that's probably something that factors into this subject altogether. Regardless, I was enjoying this slightly rare occasion in my white sneakers until I looked down at my feet halfway through the day to find a smudge of dirt on the primeknit material of my right shoe. Of course my attempt to rub it off only made things worse, and so I had accept that this smudge was staying there until I could get home and fix it. Now this might come down to my slightly particular personality, but I could not stop looking down at my shoes for the rest of the day. Every time I looked back, the smudge appeared worse and worse. Obviously this was just me getting myself worked up, and for me this is where these anxieties really come into play. Dirt and scuffs will appear a hell of a lot more prominently on white material than on most other materials, and so it can really play on your mind, especially if you're an anxious person like I am. 


I think that the whole matter comes down to what kind of person you are, how well you look after your sneakers, how often you wear them and, perhaps more than anything, how bothered you actually are about it. Not everyone is an anxious wreck like me when it comes to these things, and a lot of people probably don't care. If you're like me though, you probably do care...too much. Watching every step you take outdoors; wincing every time your shoe scuffs against something; dying inside when someone behind you steps on the back of your grails. It's all quite understandable and within reason if you ask me. Nevertheless, it doesn't mean that we should have to lock ourselves at home, sit in a corner and rock back and forth in our favourite kicks. There is a whole industry out there to help us look after our favourite white ones & twos. 


As obvious as this is going to sound, I've come to learn that the best thing you can do is quite simply look after your sneakers, and this is what I try to remember if I am feeling a little anxious. The way I see it, there's no point spending top dollar on a pair of shoes that are going to sit in a box and never see the light of day. I'm a big believer in wearing your kicks and enjoying them, and this is something we can all do, especially with the booming industry of shoe care products that are available now. Initially protecting your shoes with waterproof sprays is definitely something worth doing, and you can do your own research into what brand you want to go for. When your white sneakers do inevitably get a little dirty, there are also plenty of cleaning products available, from quick wipes for on-the-go use to more thorough cleaning solutions and kits. So far, my knowledge and experience of different sneaker maintenance brands is quite limited as I've only tried a few different products. However, I'm definitely planning to try out some recommended options in the next few months and hopefully bring you my findings in a blog post. 


Until next time, remember the most important thing: wear your kicks.

Thanks for reading!

1 comments

  1. My husband would love those sneakers!

    <3: Jasmin N
    littlethingswithjassy.blogspot.fi

    ReplyDelete